Diagnosed with complex ovarian cyst. Got period on time. Resolving of the complex cyst?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi, was diagnosed with 2 inch complex ovarian cyst. Period has come exactly on time. First day, normal, then found brown blood the following day. Now blood is heavy, but not brown. Could this be the complex cyst "resolving"? Not extreme pain-- just crampy.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Usually resolving of the complex cyst with 2 inch size is not that common as compared with simple cyst.
And ovarian cyst contents will not come through the uterus. But the cyst can influence the menstrual flow by altering the hormonal levels and by increasing the blood supply to the surrounding organs.
-So, if the pain is persisting or increasing and menstrual irregularities are continuing, better to go for excision of the cyst.
As the nature and future course of the complex cyst is difficult to guess, excision is one option.
-If you do not think that symptoms are severe, you can wait for one month and then go for repeat scan. If you find that the size of the cyst is decreasing and symptoms are getting reduced, then you can wait and watch with regular followups.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with complex ovarian cyst. Got period on time. Resolving of the complex cyst? 57 minutes later
Thank you for response. What is the cause of thick- brown discharge or blood ( not sure). I found it on a tampon and then today, my blood has been back to red. Does the brown discharge or blood have to do with Ovarian Cyst?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 23 hours later

Usually the fresh blood will come out in red color, whereas the collected blood along with shedded endometrial tissue will come out as thick brown discharge.
Ovarian cyst can alter the menstrual flow by the ways I told previously. But these color changes are not particularly related to cyst, these can be seen during normal period also.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.