Diagnosed with colitis. On prednisolone. Is there any natural way to get cured?

I have been dealing with stomach, intestinal problems since 2000.
I have now been diagnosed with Colitis this year (first it was proctitis, then Ulcerative Colitis, and now "Colitis"???. I guess it's taken some time to develop into this condition. I am in remission and feel great right now, however i know it will be back because that's just the way it is, i've accepted this.

in the meantime, are there any suggestions while in remission of things I should be doing with my diet, etc.
Is there any cure in the near future???
Is there anything better than Prednisone and prednisolone...i have never been in such a bad place in my life with these drugs however nothing else seems to work and i have tries almost everything/.

I am on Mezavant (?) I hope i spelled it correctly. I guess it's OK but prefer to be on no drugs, of course. Is there anything i can do that's natural to keep this disease from taking so much life away from me when it's XXXXXXX full blown on". your help is greatly appreciated. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 12 hours later

Looks like you have been suffering from ulcerative colitis for nearly 12 years now.
It is a disease which causes inflammation in your large intestine which is known to be in remission and relapse (exacerbation) at times. Also this disease usually starts in rectum (proctitis) and may extend proximally in large intestine over years though this is uncommon. This disease is known to relapse if treatment is stopped, changed, if superadded infections occur in intestine or spontaneously also.

To prevent relapses,
1) Compliance to medications is very important. Do not change or stop medications yourself.
2) Use clean portable water to drink and eat healthy food to avoid super added infections in intestine.
3) If you feel your symptoms are worsening, immediately get your stool tested and consult your doctor to look for infection and may need to step up medications or add steroids to achieve remission.

When compliance to medications is good then chances to relapse is known to reduce.
In diet, there are no specific restrictions. Curd or butter milk may help (pro biotic effect) though these are not proven. There are drugs other than prednisolone, but only for those who need prednisolone more frequently or in high dose.

Also once a day preparation of Mezavant may help improve compliance. Taking probiotics additionally may also help. There are no proven benefits of purely natural therapy till date. De stress yourself this may help you and your disease control also.

Don't worry, lot of new medications are in research for curing or controlling this disease to help patients like you. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you a healthy life.