Diagnosed with clonus and depression, left knee is jerky and taking citalopram. Any relationship between medication and knee problem?

I have been diagnosed with clonus and depression. My left knee jerks pretty much all the time while standing. If I stand I am in danger of falling. The only prescribed medication I am taking is citalopram. Is there any relationship between this medication and my knee problem. I am a 47 year old male who had a stroke in 2011 and have neurological problems and was a cocaine user 10 years ago. Three months ago I was hospitalized for 16 days with what was diagnosed with what was called alcohol withdrawal symptons. I still drink occasionally and have drank alcohol for the last thirty years. Is there a relationship between clonus and what I have described. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Difficult to establish any direct relationship

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Knee jerks and Clonus are not very commonly associated with use of Citalopram. It is better to search for other causes of these symptoms. Knee jerks or imbalance have not been generally associated with Citalopram intake.

Alcohol withdrawal could have very indirect relationship with Clonus. Seizures are a common manifestation of alcohol withdrawal syndrome, especially when withdrawal is so abrupt. Chronic consumption of alcohol can be associated with Vitamin deficiencies. Screening for Vitamin vitamin class Vitamins in blood is important. Supplementation in case of deficiencies could aid in alleviating such symptoms. Screening for Electrolyte deficiencies like Calcium, Magnesium could be helpful.

I am afraid your drug might not have a relationship to your symptoms. It is rare for alcohol withdrawal to present as such as a direct consequence. Screening for Vitamin B complex blood levels and Calcium/Magnesium levels in blood could be useful.

Physiotherapy and a proper blood pressure control are important to manage the effects and prevent any risk recurrent stroke episodes. It is important to manage any weakness or movement issues that might be arising from the stroke episode you experienced. Appropriate blood pressure control, pediatric Aspirin and physiotherapy and reeducation should also be carefully reconsidered. The opinion of your neurologist could be useful.

Thanks and hope this helps. Feel free asking follow up questions through this medium as I shall be honored to contribute to your well being. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Rogers