Diagnosed with clival chordoma. Cyberknife radiation treatment done. Started headache and ear pain. Any advise?

Excellent

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
MY HUSBAND HAD BRAIN TUMOR AND WAS OPERATED TWICE WITHIN A GAP OF ONE YEAR. IT WAS DIAGNOSED AS CLIVAL CHORDOMA . HE UNDERWENT CYBERKNIFE RADIATION TREATMENT . WE WANT TO TO KNOW THE SIDE EFFECTS OF CK TREATMENT.THE TUMOR WAS NOT MALIGNANT . FIRST SURGERY IN 04/2011 AND THE SECOND IN 06/2012 . CYBERKNIFE IN 07/2012 .HE IS EXPERIENCING PAIN IN EARS AND SLIGHT HEAD ACHE . DOCTORS PRESCRIBE DOLO 650 FOR EVERYTHING. HE WAS GIVEN STEROIDS FOR A WEEK AFTER CK TREATMENT .PLEASE ADVISE
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Stroke

Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXX,

Yes, you are right, clival chordomas are benign tumors. I am not sure how much gamma knife helps in such tumors. Gamma knife is a focused form of radiation and its side effects are minimal. Pain in ears and mild headache could be stress related or in rare cases chordoma blocking middle ear Eustachian tube. Rest I think your husband just needs follow up MRI only at regular intervals.

Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Dr Vineet

Follow-up: Diagnosed with clival chordoma. Cyberknife radiation treatment done. Started headache and ear pain. Any advise? 2 hours later
Dear doctor
Thank you for your advise. I have few more doubts which I want to clear.

1 If cyber-knife doesn't help in such tumors ,What is the alternative solution ?

2 As we have already taken the cyber-knife treatment ,whether we have to consult our neuro surgeon or our oncologist who delivered the ck treatment ?

3 at what intervals MRI should be done ? now only two months are over after ck treatment ?

4 headache and pain in ears is troubling his daily activities

please do advise

thanking you

Geethanjali

Dear XXXXXX,

Chordomas are slow growing tumors, they require interventions only if they are causing symptoms. Since complete removal is not possible, CK is offered as hope to patients to stop growth. As with any other form of radiation, it is not much effective in slow growing tumors.

FOLLOW UP MRI can be done yearly or early if new symptoms appear.

For pain, get ENT examination done.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with clival chordoma. Cyberknife radiation treatment done. Started headache and ear pain. Any advise? 1 hour later
Thank you very much Sir

Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 5 hours later
You are welcome. Please close this discussion if you have no more questions.