Diagnosed with chronic rhinitis. Taking mondeslor and fluticasone nasal spray. Any advice?

ENT Specialist
Question
My complaints are recurring dryness of nostril frequent throat clearing diagnised as cronic rhinitis and prescribed medicine as follows: tab mondeslor 1 HS and fluticone nasal spray BD. Please advice.
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

There are two reasons for the dryness of the nose.
1. Due to age related changes in the nasal mucosa, the secretory glands in the nose and the throat becomes atrophied. Hence, there is a reduction in the quantity of nasal secretions which keep the mucosa moist.
2. Usage of fluticasone and monteleukast will further worsen the dryness.

My advice to you is to use saline nasal spray 3-4 times a day along with the steroid nasal spray to keep the nasal mucosa moist. Avoid sleeping under the fan or in front of the air conditioner. Drink plenty of warm water to increase the hydration of the tissues and reduce the post nasal discharge.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Diagnosed with chronic rhinitis. Taking mondeslor and fluticasone nasal spray. Any advice? 31 minutes later
Please prescribe what medicines should I take now. And I would also like you to know that I have been prescribed to take the Tablets mentioned for lifetime and if it would be wise to completely refrain from it.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 10 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

You can try using saline nasal spray (Otrivin S/Nasivion S/Nazone) 3-4 times a day. Continue with Fluticasone spray once a day in the morning as soon as you get up from the bed and Monteleukast for a month. Later, you can take Levocetrizine 5mg instead of Monteleukast when required.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon