Diagnosed with chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuritis. How long it takes to cure?

my wife has been dianosed with chronic inflammatory demyelinaveting polyneuritis, has been given massivhat mighte doses of steroids and is about to be given more. we need some one to tell us what to expect or what to look for that might show us this is helping and how long it will take to see signs of improvement. she woke up and found she couldn't walk and had pain in the nerves in her legs and numbness in lower legs and feet about three weeks before this her left wriest and hand where numb and unable to use but it cleared up after a week and a half.
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Steroids are the best initial management in a case of Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP). Usually the steroid treatments are placed for long durations depending on the severity of the condition assessed by clinical examination and other investigations.

Steroid treatment will surely reduce the symptoms to almost nil in few months of treatment but the problem in CIDP is about relapses after stopping or stepping down the dosage. Then the steroid dosage has to be revised or a better steroid is chosen then.

In case the steroids fail to control the disease or unable to prevent relapses then treatment like plasmapheresis (plasma exchange) and intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) which may be prescribed alone or in combination with an immunosuppressant drug.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.