Diagnosed with chronic hives. Not cured by levocetirizine 5 mg. Should I go for specialist advice?

I was diagnosed multiple allergies in the 90's with chronic hives. otc meds give some relief but they have been very severe and more chronic this summer. i was prescribed levocetirizine 5 mg on 7/19/12. the rases are less widespread but are still there after taking the meds since 7/19/12. should i see an allergist or allow more response time?
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Allergic rashes mostly respond to anti allergic medicines like levocetrizine and topical steroids. You can apply 1% hydrocortisone ointment available over the counter for full relief.
In addition you can apply calamine lotion which will help in soothing the skin and have foods XXXXXXX in vitamin C which is a general anti-allergy supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine. You can also have a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C like citrus fruits, oranges, papaya, grapefruit, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, and pineapple.
You can see an allergist in case the symptoms are persistent even after one week of incorporating these changes.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.