Diagnosed with chronic gastritis and hiatal hernia. Not cured by medicine. What cure should be done?

I have been having stomach issues for over a year. After an endoscopy from my GI specialist, he diagnosed me with severe chronic gastritis in addition to a hiatal hernia. I have taken muiltiple rounds of Prilosec, Pravacid, Protonix, which seems to heal my stomach for a while. Once the treatment is over, my condition begins to return with the burning sensation in my stomach. I have greatly reduced acidic foods and drinks and currently manage my condition with 300 mg of Zantec daily at 4pm. I feel fine until about 1 or 2 pm the following day then the burning begins again. I also take .5 mg of Ativan daily to relax the stomach muscles and assist with my stress level. I have tried natural remedies such as coconut water, DGL licorice, and pro-biotics, which mildly help. Early on, I was also diagnosed with C-diff, which was treated shortly thereafter. I have re-checked for this bacteria and I remain negative. My stool is also negative of any parasites, bacteria and blood. My blood work has also been normal. Prior to my stomach issues beginning, I also developed a staph infection with boils inside my nose, which kept reoccurring every few months. I have not had any boils for a while after a round of antibiotics. I also tested positive for many food allergies which my allergist explained I may or may not have any reactions. I have never reacted to any food in terms of hives or rashes. Nevertheless I avoid most of those foods. I also suspected that I was suffering from a lack of stomach acid. I experimented by drinking water with a little raw distilled XXXXXXX cider vinegar. My stomach seemed to feel better within a half hour but my stomach felt worse the following day. It almost appears my stomach was lacking acid on the short-term but then became irritated long-term with the vinegar. At this point I am at a lost of my next step. I do not want to continue taking Zantac daily to manage my stomach issues. Thank you for any insight you could provide.
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXX,
I am glad to know that all your blood work came
out normal. I am assuming that you have had an
endoscopy and biopsy that confirmed chronic
gastritis. I am not sure if the biopsy was negative
for H.pylori bacteria.If that was the case you should
have been treated with antibiotics for the same.
I also wonder why you are not on a maintenance
P.P.I.(Any that helped you beforr)?
You could be on a lowest dose once a day for
maintaining symptom relief.The longest experience
has been with the original drug Prilosec which has
Been available for a long time.There have been no
reports of cancer of the stomach taking this drug
for years. I would go back to any of the P.P.I. drugs
for maintenance.
Make sure you have been tested for H.pylori bacteria.
If you have not, there is a H.pylori breath test or a stool
antigen test that can determine if you have this.
It is very important that this be treated because it
can contribute to stomach cancer.
Please talk to your doctor about these.
Wish you well.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with chronic gastritis and hiatal hernia. Not cured by medicine. What cure should be done? 12 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I was negative for hpylori and gastric cancer. I am trying to avoid PPIs for long term use because of the side effects, anxiety, headaches, etc. Is there anything else I can check for to explain the overproduction of stomach acid. Prior to this condition, I was under a tremendous amount of stress and drinking a lot of alcohol which I am convinced triggered my condition. However, shouldn't my stomach heal completely and revert to the condition it once was? Also, would you recommend I try a different PPI such as Nexium, which is probably the only PPI I have not tried. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 11 hours later
Hello, XXXXXX,
I am sure that stress and anxiety can add to the problems and
aggravate the situation. Alcohol can cause a lot of damaga
as well. But at least your blood work does not show any
damage to the liver . P.P.I.'s are generally safe although
recently there has been some concerns about increased
infections (Lung) due to suppressed acid. But , in clinical
experience, this is extremely rare. I had patients who were
on P.P.I. for more than ten years without problems.
If you stay on a lowest dosage , and symptom free, I would
do that. Nexium (Esomeprazole) 2o mg. once a day
probably would be O.K. for you.
I would give that a try.
Wish you well.