Diagnosed with cholangiocarcinoma final stage, has lost feeling on one side, gets easily tired, has swollen belly. Prognosis?

Question
This is a question about my father in law who has cholangiocarcinoma, he was diagnosed almost 2 months back. It is at the final stage. Spread to Liver,shoulder bones, and spine. (large tumor in his neck -spinal bone) He now has lost the feeling of his left side. He can not use his arm or leg. He has lost a lot of weight, gets tierd easy. In pain most of the time. His belly is very swollen compared to the rest of his body. I know there is nothing any doctor can do to save him. I just wanted to know from your experience as a Doctor, how long do you think he may have left to live? How longs a piece of string? but you will have more experience than my self. Thank you for taking the time to read this x
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 2 days later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole) and am glad to address to your query here.

It is saddening to know the news of his cancer.
With your description, I can just say that there are only a few months at the most left to live.

Prognosis and survival depends on many factors like chemotherapy, bilirubin levels, spread, complications, other diseases etc.

But overall the survival rates are very poor and counted in days to months.

Please consult your treating team to get an exact prognosis since they know the case the best. Try maximum pain relief and comfort measures.

I wish him pain free life ahead !!

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole
Good Luck!

As it helps us to improve continuously, may I request you to write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query anytime.
Thank you!!