Diagnosed with cellulitis, having bad pain, purple hard mass, peeled like blister. Cure for this?

Pediatrician
Question
diagnosed with cellulitis on 4/11, still have BAD pain, it is a purple hard mass, and today it peeled like a blister.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 1 hour later
Thanks for your query to healthcare magic.

I need more details about your problem.
1. Have you taken antibiotics after diagnosis of cellulitis , was it oral or intravenous antibiotics. for how long did you take? ( a good course of IV antibiotics would have taken care of the cellulitis by now)

2. Was any pus drained? (presence of pus will delay healing & aggravate pain)

3. Did they scan of the lesion to rule out any mass or any underlying pus?

4. Do you have any medical problems like diabetes? ( uncontrolled diabetes will definitely delay healing)

5. Are you under regular follow up since diagnosis of cellulitis?

6. Do you have any other symptoms like fever? ( should consider other diagnosis if there is no fever)

For pain relief you can take analgesics like Ibuprofen, diclofinac along with rantidine.
Kindly furnish more details so that i could help you better.

Take care,
Dr. Balaji Chinnasami, MD

Follow-up: Diagnosed with cellulitis, having bad pain, purple hard mass, peeled like blister. Cure for this? 6 minutes later

I had 2 antibodies through iv the night of the 11th plus went home with bactrim 2x a day for 10 days and leviquin 1x a day for 10 days

2. Was any pus drained? (presence of pus will delay healing & aggravate pain) Nothing drained and the dr said the infection was gone

3. Did they scan of the lesion to rule out any mass or any underlying pus? NO

4. Do you have any medical problems like diabetes? ( uncontrolled diabetes will definitely delay healing) NO

Yes every 3 days. He says it can take a month for the pain to go away, but the pain by 5 pm is just as bad as the very first day i went to the er, and it radiates to my calf

6. Do you have any other symptoms like fever? ( should consider other diagnosis if there is no fever) no fever, when I was first diagnosed we watched the infection/red spread in the er with the dr. Foot was HOT to touch and NOTHING could touch it without it hurting like hell

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 18 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I would suggest you to discuss with your doctor regarding a ultrasonogram to rule out pus focus & draining if any pus was found, also send the pus for culture so that an appropriate antibiotic could be started IV for alteast 7-10 days. do a blood sugar level if it has not been done recently.

Cellulitis without fever is unlikely. consider possibilities of other diagnosis like insect bite etc.
If you have any further queries im happy to help you, if no kindly close the query and rate it.
Take care,
Dr. Balaji Chinnasami, MD