Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. Suggested to have artery cut in leg for test. What can be done to avoid this test?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have just been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy , ..after having a simple stress test ...my doctor immediately wants me to have my artery cut in my leg to see what needs to be done , i have blood pressure meds and pain killers i take for arthritis..i do not drink alchohol for about two yrs now ..and my weight is not that bad ,,(i am 56 ,,150).....i had been up to 210 pounds at one time and adjusted my weight and stopped alchohol because of high blood pressure . my question is ...can i reverse this , can i make myself healthy naturally.i have NO symptems at this time . and is there anyother thing i can do to avoid this test
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You can do echocardiogram to avoid test. Detailed Answer: Hello. I have studied your case. There are various types of Cardiomyopathy Dilated cardiomyopathy ,Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy - ,Restrictive cardiomyopathy Cardiomyopathy can be genetic or may be due to alcohol or due chronic disease like sarcoidosis, amyloidosis. You can do an ultrasound scan of the heart, called an echocardiogram to avoid invasive test. This is a painless test which can confirm that your heart is large and dilated. You can make your self healthy by proper diet and adequate exercises, along with holistic approach like yoga. But reversal of cardiomyopathy depends on causative factors. Treatment for dilated cardiomyopathy Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors. A beta-blocker, -carvedilol, may be prescribed in addition to an ACE inhibitor. Beta-blockers have a protective effect on the heart muscle, with anticoagulants such as warfarin Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. Suggested to have artery cut in leg for test. What can be done to avoid this test? 17 minutes later
can the echocardiogram confirm what type of cardiomyopathy I have ? if not ..is the artery being cut , the only test that will tell me the extent? will the echocardiogram confirm what type of myopathy I have ?or is the artery being cut (angiogram ??) the only way to find out

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes echo can comment on type of cardiomyopathy Detailed Answer: Hello again, Yes echo can comment on type of cardiomyopathy, but if we want to see any arterial blockage in myocardium then angiogram is required. Echocardiogram can be done first and then decide to go for angiogram according to reports. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries Take care.