Diagnosed with candida and balanitis. Cured with diflucan and daktarin. Tested for STD all negative. Suggest?

Dermatologist
Question
Hello, any dermatologist online, added more details below in current medication.
I was diagnosed with candida/balanitis 3 months ago. Cured with diflucan and daktarin. Tested for Std (blood, urine, swab) several times during the past 100 days, all negative. Last week I had a rash (red spot in the picture), as suggested by my urologist I did use nappy powder. It faded away in one night. Currently I'm all clean on my penis, however I developed a kind of cold sore on my lip. Never had one before. I'm wondering whether the two things are related and secondly if what I had on my penis could be herpes
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 30 minutes later
Thanks for the query and photograph.

Yes the lesion appears like herpes.
The lesions of herpes are very superficial and transient.
They may disappear overnight as mentioned by you.

Your cold sores and the lesions on penis can be related.

Usually herpes virus - 1 causes cold sores and herpes virus - 2 causes genital herpes.

However there is always a possibility of autoinnoculation, which means the virus can go from penis to lip or from lip to penis mainly through towel or hand.

The episode of candida may be unrelated, but both herpes and candida occur in person with low immunity and diabetes is an important cause for that.

I would advice you to get your blood sugar levels tested.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.

Wishing you a good health.
Thank you

Follow-up: Diagnosed with candida and balanitis. Cured with diflucan and daktarin. Tested for STD all negative. Suggest? 11 minutes later
Thanks for the quick reply, one additional question as my urologist felt that it was a sweat rash more than herpes considering that it was gone so quickly and it didn't present any pain or discomfort for me.
Is there any additional test I should do to be completely sure about the nature of this lesion or any cure I should follow

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 5 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up,
Sweat rash cannot present as a single lesion, there will be a few red lesions.
Also you have a history of cold sores.

Please get IgM and IgG test for HSV-1 and HSV-2.
These are tests for detecting antibody produced in the blood against the herpes virus.

This may help in reaching a diagnosis.
Let me know if you have any doubt any time.

Thank you

Follow-up: Diagnosed with candida and balanitis. Cured with diflucan and daktarin. Tested for STD all negative. Suggest? 6 minutes later
Just to be clear, I don't have an history of cold sores, never had one. And I'm not even sure whether what I currently have on my lip is a cold sore. Since yesterday the lip is tender and there is a tiny white dot...I just associated the two things together

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 minutes later
Its ok go for the test.
At least, if it is negative you will have a peace of mind.
So better to get it done.

Thank you

Follow-up: Diagnosed with candida and balanitis. Cured with diflucan and daktarin. Tested for STD all negative. Suggest? 3 minutes later
Thanks, will do..I will also check with urologist as I have done so many tests in the past 3 months that I don't know/recall for sure whether I did the HSV ones

Oh ya,
Thats a great idea.
It may be that this test has already been done for you.

Wishing you a good health,
Thank you