Diagnosed with cancer of the cervix. Was vaccinated for virus that cause this disease. Cause?

My 24 yr old granddaughter has just been diagnosed with cancer of the cervix. She was vaccinated in 2010 against the virus that causes this disease. We don't understand how this has happened. We of course are devastated by this news. Her mother died 10 yrs ago, 22 yrs after receiving a bone marrow transplant for Aplastic Anemia. Any information you can give would be so appreciated.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The vaccine for HPV protects against cervical cancer in upto 70% cases. Largely the cancer is associated with the infection but there are other causes also.
Cervical screening to detect the cancer early is recommended in vaccinated females too.
Now that the cancer has been diagnosed, it must be treated properly. Early stages can be cured completely with the help of surgery and chemotherapy.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.