Diagnosed with cancer. Stent inserted in the bile duct. Should I go for gall bladder removal?

Oncologist, Surgical
My brother in law, has had a stent inserted in the bile duct,Nov 2012 after being diagnosed with cancer. He was told the tumour had not spread to other organs. He has had 11 treatments of radiation and chemo of 25 but had to stop because of sickness. Time is of the essence, and they had talked of a whipple procedure op, but have now backtracked. Could he ask for a gall bladder removal and rerouting or replacement of any damaged part of the bile duct. Its knowing the right questions to ask? Is this the best option given that the patient is a fit 62 year old and a lot to live for. Very interested to know your opinion. XXXXXX
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 36 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your brother in law's problem. I am surprised that if the cancer had not spread to other organs, why wasn't Whipples done after stent placement and why was radiation & chemotherapy given upfront. This is usually done in patients where surgery is not possible due to spread of the disease or the condition of the patient.
Now that radiation and chemo are done, he can still undergo surgery if he is fit. If the tumor has metastatized to other ograns, he can undergo a triple bypass, which will take care of his jaundice and food passage. This procedure is not as time consuming or morbid as Whipple's.
You can discuss the possibility of this procedure with your surgeon.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.