Diagnosed with calcification in shoulder joint. Getting muscle and nerve pain. Is this normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been diagnosed with calcification in my shoulder joint. I am not convinced from stuff I have read and while she was doing the ultrasound, she seen what she thought was calcification but when she tried again to find it she could not, and it did not show on the xray. Mainly the pain is centred around the muscle in the upper arm, I have been told this is referred pain, however it is very tender to touch as well, when my daughter pushed on it, the pain sent me through the roof. Is this normal for calcification in the shoulder joint? Also I am getting very bad nerve pain all the way down my arm into my fingers, is this normal for this condition also? I am in agony with it.
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
A calcification in the shoulder joint can cause the sympt6oms you are having specially if there is compression of the nerve also.
For confirmation of the diagnosis, it is best to get an MRI scan of your shoulder done so that any abnormal calcification and soft tissue abnormalities can be detected.
Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique (kept as last resort).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with calcification in shoulder joint. Getting muscle and nerve pain. Is this normal? 2 hours later
Thank you for the info. Tonight I am having stranger pain than normal also, when I get the strange burning pain that shoots down my arm, it is actually making my arm move with it, like from the elbow to the hand. If I have it elevated it moves down with each searing pain.

Just so I'm clear, you say its normal for the muscle in the top part of the arm to become painful on touch as well? This is what I can't wrap my head around, being told that the problem is in my shoulder joint when all the pain seems to be coming from that muscle.

I know I sound like a hyperchondriac, but I'm worried its MS, as I have had bilateral trigeminal neuralgia for about 10 years now and have read that is very common to have at a young age on both sides of the face if you have MS, is this true?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The pain n the top part of the shoulder could be related to the inflammation of the surrounding tissues. An MRI will help in identifying the cause of all these problems.
MS may be associated with trigeminal neuralgia but it is not always associated with it.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.