Diagnosed with bronchitis pneumonia, coughed yellow, tightness. On zpak and prednisone, stomata. No yellow phlegm. Advice?

Hi. I was diagnosed with bronchitis or mild bronchial pneumonia 16 days ago. I went on g 10 days. Still coughed up yellow. So now on zpak and prednisone steroid. Also stomata for nasal allergies and postnasal drip. Third day on steroid. No more yellow phlegm from lung. But a lot if tightness. Can I do anything for tbis. Will painkiller help me function better. I am 43.and otherwise healthy.
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 59 minutes later
Thanks for visiting XXXXXXX
Bronchopneumonia causing yellow phlegms is an infectious condition. Very rightly you have been prescribed on antibiotic azithromycin (zpak). Also you mentioned of nasal allergy and post nasal drip.
At this point I would like to know whether these symptoms are recurrent i.e do you get cough and cold frequently, any known allergy to dust, fumes etc., any short XXXXXXX of breath.
If your answer is yes,you may have a condition called allergic rhinitis where 50% of patients have concomitant bronchial asthma.
At this juncture I will advise you to go for a simple breath test called spirometry with reversibility testing to detect asthma. You can ease your chest tightness by inhaled bronchodilators like salbutamol. I don't think pain killer will be of any help.
Please let me know the constituent of stomata....
Best wishes..
Follow-up: Diagnosed with bronchitis pneumonia, coughed yellow, tightness. On zpak and prednisone, stomata. No yellow phlegm. Advice? 50 minutes later
I do have recurrent post nasal drip and colds that always last three weeks often followed by sinus infection. This time it is,believed sinus infection turned into bacterial bronchitis. Going for chest xray,now. Today along with prednisone I took fluvonase bronchial inhaler and am finding relief at last from chest tightness. My question is whether the inhalet you recommend is even more effective. I did take the tesy you mentioned for lung capacity. It indicated some deficiency with exhaling. But not too bad.
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 35 minutes later
Thanks for follow up.

I strongly feel that you have allergic rhinitis with asthma. You can try some antihistaminic preparation like cetrizine with nasal spray constituting azelastine plus steroids like fluticasone for few days. Discuss with your treating doctor about these drugs.

Will you please post the values of FeV1, FVC, FeV1/FVC from your test, both prebronchodilator, post bronchodilator and % change....

You can continue with your inhaler....

Best wishes