Diagnosed with bigger, bulky and multicystic ovary. What should be done?

i have been told i havbe septated mulhcyshc mass and that my left ovary is much bigger bulky,vascular update some thick septa
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 4 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

After reading what you have written, I interpret that you have an ovarian mass on the left side which is big (size you have not mentioned).
The mass is multicystic with thick septa which means its compartmentalized by thick divisions. The mass is fluid filled mainly and so is known as cystic and divisons make it appear as multiple cysts in the same mass.
More vascularity suggests the area is active with increased blood flow.

I wanted you to update me on the following so that I get more clarity.

1. Size of your mass and if there is a comment on any solid features seen.

2. If your right ovary is normal? what did your uterus show on imaging?

3.. If you have attained menopause? If not then do you have any menstrual complaints.

4. What complaints you have which made you go for a pelvic imaging.

Kindly revert back with the answers.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with bigger, bulky and multicystic ovary. What should be done? 2 hours later
mass is 5.4 2.9 not going through menopause have had blood test and they say im not menopausal.other ovary normal. had ultrasopund as constant bleeding heavy at times,some blood brownish. doctor sent me right away. thanks
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing back.

Considering your report, your ovarian mass belongs to the category of COMPLEX ovarian cyst/mass.

A complex cyst is any mass of the ovary having solid and/or cystic components with septations or excressances (projections on the surface).

Any complex mass with any of the above features beyond the age of 40 must be evaluated immediately to ensure that cancer is not present.

The complex cyst in your case can be a dermoid cyst, serous or mucinous cyst of the ovary.

Dermoid cysts are the most common complex masses of the ovary. They are benign with only 1% or less of dermoids being cancerous.

Serous cysts are composed of thin fluid and mucinous cysts contain thicker fluid. They are usually benign(harmless) and present as complex masses. Cancer can occur in either of these types of cysts with serous cyst being the most common.

Definite diagnosis of cancer can only be made on tissue diagnosis obtained after removal of the cyst.

CA125 is a blood marker found high in ovarian cancer but is NOT DIAGNOSTIC. It is used only for understanding the prognosis and for follow up.

Since ovarian cancer has long term survival in the earlier stages, it is important that complex masses be evaluated, followed closely or removed and prevent progression of disease to higher stages.

In your case you have history of abnormal bleeding which makes it all the more important to get your cyst evaluated at the earliest. Abnormal heavy bleeding can be due to the complex cyst you have.

I hope I have answered your query.