Diagnosed with bicuspid aortic valve. Getting sudden and painful headache. Could it be murmur?

bicuspid aortic valve is what my 21 year old son has been diagnosed with from an echochardiogram done today. Dr says may also have reflux, this is not that kind of pain, frustrated, my son also has sudden headaches very painful and dr said probably sinus, before he listened to his heartbeat. Before the echo dr cardiologist says he has a murmur.
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 42 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

I am sorry to know that your son is suffering with Bicuspid aortic valve disease.

Aortic valve is lies between left ventricle and aorta. It is generally tricuspid.

In about 1% population, two cusps fuse together during development, resulting in cogenital bicuspid aortic valve.

In many cases it does not cause any problem, but in some cases it may become calcified in later life leading to aortic stenosis. This aortic stenosis can manifest as murmur.

If cusps do not close correctly, regurgitation can occur.

Bicuspid aortic valve disease is generally not associated with pain.

If your doctor is suspecting Sinusitis, you should get him examined by ENT Specialist.

If his sinuses are clear, you should consult a Physician for complete examination, and investigations like CAT scan of brain.

If you have further query in this regard, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,