Diagnosed with benign parotid tumor. Experiencing vertigo more frequently. Also diagnosed with sjoengren's syndrome. Related?

I am 59 yr old female , 5 feet and 123 lbs , who was recently diagnosed to have a benign parotid tumor. I have been experiencing vertigo more frequently in the last 3 weeks. I have also been diagnosed to have Sjoengren's syndrome. Is vertigo related to having a parotid tumor ?
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Brain Tumor
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Vertigo is most commonly related to problems in the inner ear though it can rarely be related to lesions in the brain.

The most common inner ear problems that cause vertigo are: (1) BPPV which stands for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo- in this case the episodes are provoked by turning the head in certain positions and the episodes only last for a few seconds. This is treated by performing certain maneuvers that are taught by the doctor

(2) meniere's disease- these episodes last for a few minutes and are associated with tinnitus (abnormal sounds in the ears like ringing or buzzing) and hearing loss. This is treated with salt restriction and the use of diuretics

(3)vestibular neuritis- these episodes may last for hours or days, associated with nausea. This is treated by medication for a short period of time

It is unlikely that the parotid tumor is related to your vertigo. There are some tumors that can rarely cause this symptom but these are tumors involving the nerves supplying the inner ear or tumors that occur in part of the brain that is involved in balance. But these are rare causes.

If the vertigo is worsening then you may want to visit your doctor to determine the exact cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions