Diagnosed with bell's palsy and left side of face is drooping. Is there anything I could do to speed up healing?

I husband has been diagnoised with bells pasley. taking pills and antibotics left side of face is drooping. is thee anything we can do to speed up healing. should he get shingles shot. XXXX and YYYY@YYYY '
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Herpes infection is the commonest cause. Detailed Answer: Hello, Bell's palsy is basically due to inflammation and edema to the facial nerve. And yes, herpes infection is considered as the commonest cause. The aim of treatment is to reduce the swelling and inflammation of the facial nerve. Steroid therapy with Prednisolone helps greatly in achieving this goal. Besides steroid facial muscle exercise like holding the air in the mouth and wrinkling of the forehead will help in speedy recovery from Bell,s palsy helps. Symptoms usually recovers over 2 - 6 months depending on the severity of palsy. Rarely patients are left with permanent deficits. Therefore take your medicines religiously and be active with your physiotherapy. As far as shingles vaccine, it is recommended for persons above the age of 60 years with or without the infection with herpes. The vaccine protects the body from reactivations of the viruses. So the vaccine is highly recommended for your husband. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there are any clarifications. Regards