Diagnosed with bcc under breast. Noticed hard lump on lower rib cage. Should I go for chest x-ray?

May 2013
Hi, I was dx with bcc under my right breast 5 mos ago and noticed a hard lump on my lower rib cage yesterday and am now concerned because it is on the same side as bcc? Possible mets? Is a chest x-ray or CT warranted? E-mail is WWWWWW@WWWWWWW
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

Though basal cell carcinoma considered as most common human malignancy world wide, according to literature metastasis occurs rarely, only around < 0.5%,

Though low we cannot completely rule out the possibility,

as you are having recent history and the consistency of your lump is hard and it is on unilateral side of previous carcinoma, there is chance that your lump may be metastatic basal cell carcinoma to lymph nodes of breast or to lungs etc,

So to rule out this you visit your doctor as early as possible, and undergo CT of the thorax and if needed FNAC(fine needle aspirated cytology) of the node which will possibly detect the nature of the lump and treatment can be taken accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.