Diagnosed with barmah forest virus. Is it safe to travel by air?

Hi , I have been diagnosed with Barmah XXXXXXX Virus ( it is like XXXXXXX River Virus) and travelling on a pre planned tour to Nepal from Australia on Thursday. Would a couple of weeks of coretesone be helpful to assist my pain and energy levels during this period?

I am concerned about the trip with high altitude had orginally planned on trekking (and have been several times before) however don't feel strong enough and concerned about too much exercise with my muscles , fatigue and joints.

Do you know if flying or the altitudes such as Kathmandu and Pokhara which is not high but higher than Australia could cause any detrimental affects, such as Chronic fatigue with this virus.

Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 23 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I would not recommend you to take corticosteroids for your complaints. The steroid will delay your recovery.

Your doctor must have prescribed you some anti-inflammatory medicines which is the main stay of management of Barmah Foresh Virus. Though fever and malaise disappear early but joint pains may take as much as 6 months to improve.

Regarding your trip to Nepal I would leave it your discretion as you are the best judge of your body and capability. I cannot recommend without an examination.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: Diagnosed with barmah forest virus. Is it safe to travel by air? 9 minutes later
Thanks, however what are your thoughts on BFV with flying and alitutude in Nepal?
Have you got any recommendations for anti inflammitories as the doctor did not prescribe any.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 27 minutes later

I do not have any views on BFV, flying and high altitude. It shall all depend on your physical ability to handle the stress of the trip. I suggest that you gradually increase your physical mobility and test your limits and then take a decision. Without examining I will not be a right person to give any guidance.

You can start with acetaminophen/paracetamol and if they do not give you adequate relief you should take ibuprofen.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you all the best and an early recovery.