Diagnosed with atrophic pancreas due to radiation damage from a lymphoma. Diet plan and medication?

I have been diagnosed with atrophic pancreas due to radiation damage from a lymphoma I had there in the 70's. I have alot of difficulty with pain after I eat and need diet recommendations along with a pain pill recommendation.

you may send your answer to YYYY@YYYY thank you
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 5 hours later

I should appreciate you for putting a brave fight against cancer. People with atrophic pancreas and no stomach, duodenum need special diet modifications:

1. Are you taking pancreatic enzyme supplementation (Creon). I hope you have already started digestive enzyme supplements and proton pump blockers like pantoprazole.

2. Gas pains are common when you take too much of fat or fiber diet. Avoid eating too much fatty, fried food items. Fruits and vegetables should be peeled and cooked to make easily digestible.

3. Have small meals every 2-3 hours rather than three large meals. This will prevent large amount of food items entering gut and causing gas pains.

4. Avoid eating foods that produce too much gas like legumes, vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower.

5. You also need to take multivitamin supplements and calcium, iron. Especially with fractured wrist, I would recommend to do vitamin D levels as this gets reduced in pancreatic diseases.

6. it’s not as easy as it looks. You need a separate dietitian to chart a specialized diet. But believe me all your pain is probably diet related.

Don't worry dear. Make sure you take your enzyme supplements. Follow this diet advice and if possible XXXXXXX a dietitian. You will definitely feel better. If you have any queries feel free to contact or else close this query.

Take care,

Dr.Balaji Chinnasami