Diagnosed with aortic stenosis. On statin. Can changes in diet help to lose weight?

I have recently been diagnosed with aortic stenosis. Because my cholesterol ratio is high my doctor put me on a statin. However after trying four different ones my reactions were so bad he took me off them. I decided to try and cut out sat fats from my diet and also the odd biscuit, scone, chocolate, I would eat. I am female, 70 years old and weight 13.5 stones. I have two questions. One could I expect to loose weight but just changing my diet in this way and, if so, how much per week could I expect to loose. Secondly, over Easter, I ate all the wrong things because I was away, bacon sandwich, meat pie, roast dinner. However I do not seem to have put on any weight, why is this.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Weight is like bank account. The account grows when you withdraw less (Cutting down physical work) or you deposit more (eating more). If the weight is picking up, it means – the exercise is not enough or the food is more.
     Exercise helps – But you need to do really severe and prolonged exercise – several hours. Start half an hour a day and slowly step up every week. Its role is however is limited. For example, in walking 1 kilometre, one spends approximately half a Calorie per pound of body weight! A cup of rice or an average bar of chocolate has approximately 200 calories!
     See a good dietician - you have to reduce the quantity of your food and change the quality too / yet keep it balanced... because it is long term, the easiest way will be to cut down a third of present food.... / Reduce fats – they have twice the calories(8) compared to carbohydrate (4) / No alcohol (6 per gram) / Avoid saturated fats – palm oil, butter,full cream milk...Avoid junk foods in particular – French fries have palm oil; Pizza has cheese / Change to Poly-un-saturated oil – like sun flower oil / Include Mono-un-saturated oil – Olive oil. You need several sessions with a dietician to master the nuances...
     You can aim to reduce 1 to 2 pounds in a week safely. A rapid loss may end in muscle loss rather than fat . It needs motivation and persistence.

Skipping the regime rarely may not affect the long term outlook. It is even promoted by some – to keep up the compliance, in the young!

For treating cholesterol, there are drugs other than statins – Fibrates, Bile acid sequestrant and so on... Discuss with your doctor, whether you need one...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Diagnosed with aortic stenosis. On statin. Can changes in diet help to lose weight? 26 minutes later
I understand all you are saying but just to make it more simple for me if I now eat products with less saturated fats and less "junk" food as you put it and do the same amount of physical activity as before (after all I am 70 years old) could I expect to see a weekly reduction in weight of say, one pound.

Also are you saying that because I ate the wrong foods for a few days that this would not necessarily make me put the weight back on.

A simple answer would be appreciated.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 15 minutes later
Yes - Eating less amount of food will reduce weight.
- Eating food with less energy will reduce weight.

Anything that is eaten (more than the body's need) can add up the weight.
If the amount, calorie and frequency are not high, the gain may not be noticed - that is all.