Diagnosed with anxiety disorder. Advised to take pms-sertraline. Having rebound insomnia,cramps in stomach and feeling shaky. Advise?

Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with anxiety disorder. My therapist has prescribed me with an anti-anxiety drug called pms-sertraline, but before that I've been taking zopiclone for over 3 weeks (they're 5mg pills). I started with one, but got up to four pills a night before my doctor tells me to just stop taking them. But by not taking them, I've rebound insomnia, which just makes my anxiety worse, not only that, it makes me shaky and when I don't take them at night (I never took them during the day), my stomach gets cramps. Are there any suggestions you can give to possibly better my situation?
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gradual titration

Detailed Answer:
Zopiclone is a sedative drug that only transiently alleviated anxiety symptoms. Sertraline is a SSRI that provides long lasting cure and is a good anti-anxiety agent. Zopiclone should not be abruptly stopped. They need to be reduced by one pill, once a week and this way the drug can tapered off within a month (from four pills to zero pills). Hope you are clearer now.
Dr Sundar
Follow-up: Diagnosed with anxiety disorder. Advised to take pms-sertraline. Having rebound insomnia,cramps in stomach and feeling shaky. Advise? 26 minutes later
I've heard that from some nurses, but the problem is my doctor insists on me stopping immediately, and I've rebound insomnia and it makes me feel panicky , so I don't know what to do...
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 44 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take a reopinion

Detailed Answer:
You can either discuss the option of slow taper with your current physician or take a reopinion from another physician so that you are clear. You can also enquire the need to abruptly stop.
Dr Sundar