Diagnosed with antral gastritis and hiatus hernia with no phlori. Having digesting problem, severe pain, nausea. On nexium

General Surgeon
hi there i was diagnosed with antral gastritis and hiatus hernia with no phlori,ever since the diagnosis I seem to be having trouble digesting food bloating pain severe and nausea have being on nexium my gp says its cleared and yet i have studied the net saying digestive is affected ime at a loose end I hope its not something more serious permanent like paresis lost heaps of weight cause very sml food intake yet my gastro doc now tells me I have non ulcer dsphasia I am confused I just want a normal life again has being 8 wks THANK YOU .
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 46 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

As Nexium blocks stomach acid secretion, and stomach acid prevents digestive tract from pathologic bacterias, such symptoms may appear as a side effects of the treatment. Moreover, as you are 55, the risk of colon cancer is higher in your age. That is why, such symptoms should be always checked with colonoscopy. Wight lost, indigestion, constipations or loose stools, can be a reasons of large intestine disease.
I suggest you to visit gastroenterologist once again and have this test performed.
To normalize your digestive tract you should start taking probiotic, increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake, avoid coffee, chocolate, fruit juices, fatty foods, spicy foods.
If such diet and probiotic wont give any relief, some more tests should be done. Stool culture test, liver tests, amylase, thyroid tests should be performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.