Diagnosed with anemia. Test showed RBC count - 160. How to control this?

Psychiatrist
Question
My recent RBC count is 160 and the report said that I am anemia , though borderline case, what will be some of the courses? I have balanced portion of protein and meat XXXXXXX in iron.
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question.

The normal RBC count for females is about 4 - 5 million cells / microlitre of blood. So, I'm not sure what the value of "160" means. Can you please check your blood test reports and give me the complete result...

Now, low RBC count can be found in a variety of medical conditions or disorders. RBC count has to be co-related with other blood parameters like Hemoglobin (Hb), Hematocrit, etc.

The first step in the management of a low RBC count is evaluating for the potential causes. i.e. to find out whether you have a problem in the production of red blood cells e.g. iron / vitamin defciencies, etc.) or whether you are having any blood loss or destruction of red blood cells resulting in the low count.

So, in order to guide you better, please give me the full details / results of the blood tests which you had done...

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Follow-up: Diagnosed with anemia. Test showed RBC count - 160. How to control this? 41 minutes later
Dr Sundarakumar,

I have uploaded the blood test report for your review, kindly go through it and advise . I did not have any operation or experience any accidents to account for blood lost.

Any further test you can recommend?

Rgds,

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 11 hours later
Hello again XXXXXXX and thanks for writing in.

You blood tests reports have not got uploaded. Can you please try again or just type the report manually...

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Follow-up: Diagnosed with anemia. Test showed RBC count - 160. How to control this? 10 hours later
Dear Dr. Sundarakumar,

Pls find attached blood test reports for your reference and advice .

Rgds,

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 5 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing in. I have got your blood test reports and reviewed them in detail.

Your RBC count is 4.64 million cells / microlitre (reference range 4.5 to 5.5 million cells / microlitre)

Hemoglobin 12.9 g/dL (reference range 13 - 17 g/dL)

Hematocrit 40.2 % (reference range 40 - 50 %)

So, the results indicate that you have a borderline low value of Hemoglobin and the rest of the results are in the lower end of the normal range. This borderline low value of Hemoglobin has been interpreted as Anemia. The other related tests like MCV, MCH and MCHC are all just within the normal range.

Now, in simple terms, what this means to you is that you have a very mild anaemia (in fact, your values are just borderline) and the probable cause is iron deficiency. Your RBC count is within normal limits and there is no indication of any abnormality or destruction of the cells. So, you don't have to worry too much about this. All you probably need is some iron and multivitamin supplements. You can get these over the counter as tablets or as tonics. You can continue to take iron XXXXXXX foods and a heallthy, balanced diet.

I would advise you to get your Hemoglobin re-checked after 3 months of taking the supplements.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar