Diagnosed with anemia Hb 10.1, BP high. Would BP stay elevated until anemia is under control ?

Just got diagnosis 3 weeks ago with anemia Hemo 10.1 and Ferritin was 6 , but blood pressure is unusally high it was 140/94 which my blood pressure is normally 121/ 82 always ..........went back to doctor to get checked gain and my blood pressure today was 130 /100 they checked urine sample for kidney infection from taking the iron supplements but urine sample came up fine ....Question would blood pressure comtinue to stay elevated until anemia is in control ??
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
G hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what you are experiencing.

The elevated blood pressure may be secondary to the anemia. your heart has to work a little bit harder in order to get oxygen to the tissues one hemoglobin is lower. I would expect that as your anemia improves the blood pressure will also come back under good control.

A question I have is why you are iron deficient? Is it because of your diet or is there some gastrointestinal bleeding going on or is there something else we need to consider?

Again I think your blood pressure will improve with iron supplementation and improvement of your anemia.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert