Diagnosed with androgenetic alopecia. How long should I take minoxidil 5% solution?

Jul 2012

Hi. For last one year, I have been experiencing hair thinning, particularly at vertex. Recently I went to see a dermatologist, who diagnosed it as androgenetic alopecia. He has suggested Tugain 10% (minoxidil 10%), but I have read online that FDA has recommended minoxidil 5% solution. Kindly share your views?
Besides, even finestride has been suggested by my doctor. I have read about its sexual dysfunctional side-effects. Should I go ahead with it?
For how long will I have to take the above medicines?
Some of my hair have also started turning grey. What could be the cause for that?
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there XXXXXXX
I agree with your views on 5% minoxidil being FDA recommended but the FDA recommendation is not always the gold standard as'experience' too matters; I believe if you have fath in your doc, go ahead! If not, yes, 5% is the order of the day.
Finasteride has a 1% chance of decrease in libido...i think if you have a fight with your wife or spouse, the chances are slightly higher ;-) Ur call entirely but both the above have to be taken for a 6-9 mth period to observe some results!
Grey hair is a genetically determined issue largely & you may try using natural mehendi to cover up the grey hair..not much else will really work!
trust have answered your query to the 't' & do continue for a 9 mth period & then revert!
If done here, please close this query as else it bounces back as a follow-up query due to the system glitch!
All the best & wish you a good head of hair in the future! Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital,Bangalore, India
Follow-up: Diagnosed with androgenetic alopecia. How long should I take minoxidil 5% solution? 18 minutes later

Thanks a lot for your quick clarifications.

Since you are a qualified dermatologist, there a few more questions that I want ask you related to my condition.

How often should I shampoo and use conditioner? And, which brand for my case?

Does application of hair oil (for eg. Amla, or Olive) has benefit?

Does massaging of scalp helps? If yes, how often?

What about hair colour? Are they harmless, especially good brands like L'Oreal?

In a lighter vein, can I wish you good head of hair in future :-) (saw your picture).

Thanks & Regards,
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 34 minutes later
Let me begin from the end...
In a lighter vein, thank you for your good wishes but I am not the one posing the question & worried about my toupe..but thank you for your wife prefers a larger face to kiss ;-) & am quite happy being follicularly challenged!
Hair colouring however good the quality, has a tendency to cause allergies at any given time, hence the suggestion of natural XXXXXXX
Massaging or handling the hair in any way is never conducive to hair growth & is in fact best avoided as it aggravates hair loss.
The same logic applies to application of oils & moreover, these do not penetrate to the roots as the advertisements' suggest; an alterantive is to google for best foods (according to what you are fond of eating) to stimulate hair growth; an all time favourite is brocolli but is an aquired taste!
Shampoos & conditioners should not be used more than two or XXXXXXX three times/week & one brand is as good as another...Dove seems a safe bet in cases of hair loss.
Do hope this has answered your questions to the point & do close this query if we are done here. Regds & Cheers!
P.S. am glad you did seem to acknowledge i was a qualified dermatologist & do assume you meant to address me as Dr. at the outset :) tc & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD