Diagnosed with an ovarian cyst of 37mm, irregular periods. What should I do ?

May 2013
i have been diagnosed with an ovarian cyst of 37mm .the ultrasound states that a persistent adnexal thin walled hypo echoic without periods have not been regular and this is the first time that i have been diagnosed with a cyst .
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 56 minutes later
thanks for the query.

according to your description of the cyst it is appearing as benign cyst,
-size is less than 6 cm,
-thin walled,
-hypo echoic,
-no hyper vasculirisation,
-asymptomatic and diagnosed accidentally.

this type of non-neoplastic enlargement of the ovary usually occurs due to the accumulation of the fluid inside the functional unit of the ovary.
these are called functional cysts.
you cyst can be one of the following,
-follicular cyst,
-corpus luteum cyst,
-endometrial cyst.

these cysts usually occur because of temporary hormonal disorders and they rarely become complicated.

now what you can do is,
-under guidance of your gynecologist, continue treatment for irregular periods,
-follow the cyst for about 3 to 4 months, with checkup by ultrasound at monthly intervals, by this time functional cysts usually regress.

you have to be cautious regarding 'rare' complications that may arise like,
-increase in the size or any doubt arises about its nature during followup or
- intracystic hemorrhage or
-rupture like conditions causing acute abdomen occurs,
you have to consult your doctor immediately and treatment to be taken accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.