Diagnosed with an inguinal hernia. Will it be safe to go for skiing before surgery?

HI. I have been diagnosed with an inguinal hernia on my left side and a developing one on right side. I am awaiting repair surgey but want to go skiining before that happens. I get some pain from exercise but it usually subsides quickly. I am prepared to put up with a bit of pain but concerned about any lasting damage given the nature of skiing. I am not a downhill speed freak it will be fairly gentle but lengthy sweeping runs. Should I be ok to go on the holiday before the operation.
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The exercises or physical activity that would be concerning are those that involve heavy lifting. Sudden twists and turns may cause discomfort and may sometimes extend the hernia slightly.
It would not cause any lasting damage that would not be repaired in surgery and you can go on your trip.

If possible avoid any heavy lifting and sudden twisting movements to decrease the risk of extending the hernia opening (though any extension would be small and subsequently repaired, but it would mean increased pain)

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions