Diagnosed with allergic rhinitis. Sneezing with mucus and eyes watering. Prescribed with allegra. Is it safe to use the medicines for long term?

Dear Doctor

I have been diagnosed with allergic rhinitis , as soon as i get up i start sneezing with a lot of mu cos , and my eyes start watering , it gets better as the day progresses but it is terrible in the morning , my doctor has prescribed allegra 120mg , my query is how long before these medicines start showing some results , Secondly are these medicines safe for long term use as i get these attacks quite often although iam not sure what triggers it , or should i try some nasal spray if these tabs dont work ?
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anti-allergics are mainstay

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Your symptoms are typical of allergic rhinitis. Anti-histaminics are the mainstay of treatment for allergies.

Now I will come specifically to your queries.

1. For the action to have complete effect it may take upto a week or even two weeks, if you are taking the medicine regularly. Though some effect should be seen in a few hours. Sneezing usually stops right away. You can try taking it at night so that you do not get excessive symptoms during morning. It can be taken once or twice a day depending on the symptoms.

2. Though all medicines have some side-effects, allegra is usually considered safe for long term use as well. The only issue that may arise is unresponsiveness to the medication after prolonged use. Some drowsiness may also be seen. Since it only helps alleviate the symptoms of allergy, it is better to take whenever you have symptoms and go medicine-free when symptoms are not there.

3. Nasal sprays are usually prescribed in the scenario of excessive nasal mucous and blockage of nostrils due to inflammation. The nasal sprays that can be prescribed are of two types: anti-allergic (that usually contains sodium cromoglycate or nedocromil) and steroidal. Steroidal needs to be avoided in the presence of infection and all nasal sprays. You will need a prescription from your physician for steroidal medication. These sprays should be avoided for prolonged use.

Hope I answered your queries.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Diagnosed with allergic rhinitis. Sneezing with mucus and eyes watering. Prescribed with allegra. Is it safe to use the medicines for long term? 17 minutes later
Thank you doctor for your detailed reply , one last query should this medicine be taken only on empty stomach or ??
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No effect of food

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

It has no correlation with food. It can be taken both ways-with or without food, though it is always better to take it with food. It should be avoided with alcohol or other sedatives (sleep-inducing medicines).

Dr Vaishalee