Diagnosed with allergic rhinitis. Is this a contagious disease?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Today, I was diagnosed with allergic rhinitis. I live with my son and his family (ages 5,2,and 2 days old) in separate living quarters. The doctor told me not to have contact with the children for four days. I am disappointed and sad, especially not being able to hold my newest grandchild. What is your opinion?
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 4 hours later
Hello
Thanks for your query. I understand your disappointment at not being able to play with your grandchild. Allergic rhinitis is as such not contagious. However many a time it might be actually viral rhinitis or some secondary bacterial infection. In these cases it is better not to handle small children since their immune system is already immature and they are prone for infections. Hence I would second your physician s advice. Wish you and your family good health.
Dr Sundar