Diagnosed with allergic asthma. On levosalbutamol rotacaps 100 mcg. Suggest some food supplement in pregnancy?

Pulmonologist
Question
Sir,
Good Afternoon

My Doctor has prescribed me "Levosalbutamol Rotacaps 100 mcg" . I have been dignosed Alergic Asthma in 2008. I am one month pregnant now and using medicines for thyroid . Medicines name is Thyrox 50 . Also I am taking medicines , Progestterone Capsules (Strone -200) & Bioperg F . Can you please suggest me about use of "Levosalbutamol Rotacaps 100 mcg" with all the mentioned medicines. what fruits you suugest to avoid respiratory problem . any food supplement you may suggest in preg.

XXXXXX
SEX: Female
Age : 29
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXX

You are diagnosed with Asthma and you are currently taking levosalbutamol rotacaps.
It would be good if you let me aware of this information about you.
1. Is your symptom controlled while you take levosalbutamol rotacaps???
2. Since how long you are pregnant?
The reason I am asking this because during pregnancy the severity of asthma often changes, nearly about one third of the asthma sufferers the symptoms turn severe, one third improves and one third remains unchanged.
Asthma symptoms control is most important in pregnancy because poorly controlled asthma may lead to poor fetal outcome. On the other hand well controlled asthma has the same pregnant outcome as normal population without asthma.

You have to look your symptom control with levosalbutamol, if not controlled then asthma treatment may be staged up to achieve control and other drugs may be needed to add with levosalbutamol. As far as levosalbutamol rotacaps usage is safe during pregnancy. As such no asthma medication has deleterious effects on fetus.

I suggest to consult your doctor and achieve optimum asthma control if yet uncontrolled.

There is no dietary restriction in pregnant asthmatics. Take an extra meal daily as there is more calorie requirements in pregnancy.

I think my advice will be of immense help to you. You can ask me if you have further queries.

Wishing u good health and good outcome.

Thank you.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with allergic asthma. On levosalbutamol rotacaps 100 mcg. Suggest some food supplement in pregnancy? 5 hours later
Dear Mam

your query is being answered below .
1) I did not use levosalbutamol. But while ask for help my doctor suggested to take that today onward i.e since 14/07/12. I asked you to be sure to safe of the uses to Fetus.Earlier for 2 year i was using Beclomethasone Dipropionate & Levosalbutamol Inhaler ( Aerocort) Cipla made .As doctor said that Beclomethasone Dipropionate & Levosalbutamol Inhaler ( Aerocort) Cipla made contains Steroid and it is harmful for baby .Now I am not using this one .But Is it realy safe to take that levosalbutamol , as it is my first pregnancy .
2) I am one month (01 Month Pregnant) .

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 11 hours later
Hi XXXXXX

Thanks again,

Yes, levosalbutamol is completely safe in your pregnancy.

Your doctor has rightly prescribed. Even in severe asthma during pregnancy we, the pulmonologist, use steroid in low doses to achieve control. In these early months of pregnancy it is very important to control asthma because uncontrolled asthma can deleteriously affect your foetus.

So use of levosalbutamol as suggested; it is completely safe in pregnancy for asthma control. Don't be worried.

Thank you

With Regards
Dr. Arnab Maji

Follow-up: Diagnosed with allergic asthma. On levosalbutamol rotacaps 100 mcg. Suggest some food supplement in pregnancy? 12 hours later
Sir ,
Earlier for 2 year i was using Beclomethasone Dipropionate & Levosalbutamol Inhaler ( Aerocort) Cipla made. It suits me but Levosalbutamol Rotacaps 100 mcg" does not fullfill my requrement . can i take Beclomethasone Dipropionate & Levosalbutamol Inhaler ( Aerocort) Cipla made. Is it safe to take that .

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 10 hours later
Hi XXXXXX

Thanks again.

We generally avoid steroid use during pregnancy. However Beclomethasone Dipropionate & Levosalbutamol inhaler (Aerocort) made by Cipla discharges very low dose of steroid not sufficient to cause systemic effects. So it is considered safe in pregnancy.

As uncontrolled asthma can produce worse effect on foetus than steroid itself, if it is needed one can add beclomethasone inhaler to your treatment.

So currently I suggest you to follow your doctor's advice. If Levosalbutamol Rotacaps 100 mcg alone is not fulfilling your requirement, you can consult your physician and consider taking beclomethasone Dipropionate and Levosalbutamol inhalers. This is safe pregnancy because what is important is to achieve asthma control as early as possible in pregnancy.

I think u got my point. Don't get tensed. Let me know if you need any more help.

Wishing u good health and a healthy pregnancy outcome

With regards
Dr. Arnab Maji