Diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. Have not eaten since pain started. Cause?

My diagnosis was acute pancreatic. The pain lasted about 12 hours. By doctors order have not eaten since pain started. My concern is was this caused by virus or normal alcohol use
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Various causes

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking.

Acute pancreatitis is the inflammation of the pancreas has many etiological factors namely :

Alcohol intake
Certain Medicines

Although medicines and gall stones can be ruled out as a cause of acute pancreatitis by history and scans, there is no specific test to attribute an acute episode to alcohol or viral infection.

Certain indicators favours one over the other like history of heavy alcohol intake, increased liver enzymes especially GGT , impaired liver function tests favours alcohol as the cause,although one can not be absolutely sure.

Also the acute management remains the same irrespective of the cause, there is no need to actually pain point the causative agent in the initial phase.

Please let me know if you require further information.