Diagnosed with acute appendicitis. How long will it take for the appendix to rupture?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have been diagnosed with acute appendicitis. How long typilcally before the apendix could rupture ? is it days weeks or hours ?

Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Risk of perforation increases after 24 hours

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM)

Overall the risk of perforation is around 10-40%. The risk of perforation increases after 24 hours of presence of symptoms.

And the treatment of acute appendicits is appendicectomy

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with acute appendicitis. How long will it take for the appendix to rupture? 41 minutes later
I have had these pains for 2 weeks on and off and Seems that when I wake up the pain is mild and gets stronger as the day goes on. They have confirmed that its acute with a ct scan, if I waited till sunday Night to go to the ER is that too Long, Being as its been 2 weeks already with the symptoms ?

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it will be too long to wait

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for feed back and sorry for delay.

Yes it will be too long to wait, as it is an emergency. Because if a lump is formed there then surgery has to be avoided. Acute appendicits is a very painful condition, I can't understand how you are bearing so much pain. It may also be possible that it may be settling spontaneously, but there is risk of recurrence. Also if a lump (mass) is formed there then surgery is to be avoided for a meanwhile and has to be treated with iv antibiotics and anti-infllammatory agents.