Diagnosed with acid re-flux. Breath analyser test and endoscopy tested normal. How long will it take to get cured?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hello Dr,
I have been diagnosed with Acid re-flux for last 6 months. I have done breath analyser test and also conducted endoscopy; wherein report was normal.

I am under treatment of OMEPRAZOLE 20 Mg, twice before meals. This is from "AstraZeneca"company.

My symptoms were heart burn, burping, nausea feeling & pain in stomach.

It's been 10 days; after treatment; the effects have reduced. Now experiencing only slight pain in lower abdomen and nausea.

How long do i continue to take the medication so that i am completely cured?

Any alternate medication; do i need to do?

regards, XXXXXXX ( YYYY@YYYY )
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 30 hours later
Hi and thanks for contacting healthcare magic
Heart burn, burping, nausea feeling & pain in stomach with a normal endoscopy is suggestive of non erosive reflux disease - a variant of GERD but without visible erosions
This responds best to a combination of PPI (omeorazole) and prokinetic (like Domperidome 10mg before each meal). Take this for a period of 2 weeks and further on an as needed basis. Doing some diaphragmatic exercises like the Alom-Vilom will help as are small frequent meals and having food atleast 2 hrs before lying down.
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Diagnosed with acid re-flux. Breath analyser test and endoscopy tested normal. How long will it take to get cured? 32 minutes later
Dear Dr,
Thanks for reply.

Is this because of any food allergy; that GERD has occured to me? Also do i restrict to the food that Dr. XXXXXXX has suggested?

I am having the following medicines at my end:
1. OMEPRAZOLE 20 Mg
2. Drego-D (USV Lab)
3. Esoga-RD

As i am based in China; i generally tend to keep little stock at my end. Can you advice the combination that i need to take?

Thanks in advance.

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 12 hours later
Hi and thanks for the followup
GERD is usually because of the failure of the antireflux mechanisms present at the junction of stomach and the esophagus. This usually due to a compromised lower esophageal sphincter mechanism and occurs either due to a poor muscle tone or excess fat being deposited there.
Hence exercises help. There is no definite relation to food but preventing obesity and having an active lifestyle helps. However if any specific food worsens symptoms, avoid them. Alcohol and smoking retards healing and worsens sphincter function - hence avoid them.
Drego-D (USV Lab), Esoga-RD are a combination of PPI and prokinetic and may be used once a day before food.
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Diagnosed with acid re-flux. Breath analyser test and endoscopy tested normal. How long will it take to get cured? 4 minutes later
Thank you Dr.

1 last question.

Can i take the following medication:

1. OMEPRAZOLE 20 Mg: 1 per day in morning
2. Drego-D or Esoga-RD (subject to availability): 1 every night

for 4 weeks.

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 24 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Since you are in the maintenance phase take only one Drego-D or Esoga-RD before breakfast for next 3 weeks. Keep exxercising and follow other instructions listed before
Dr XXXXXXX