Diagnosed with abdominal aneurysm. Anxiety level is high wih palpitation. Can it worsen aneurysm?

I was diagnosed with a 3.1 abdominal aneurysm. My anxiety levels are going crazy. I am having palpitations now. Will the palpitations cause the aneurysm to get worse?
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Respected Ma'm
1. An abdominal aneurysm (aortic) {AAA} of size 3.1 cm is not a cause of that much concern. This is just above the limit for diagnosing AAA i.e. 3 cm. Moreover, the chances of rupture (the most dreadful complication) in this subgroup of patients (3-4 cm size AAA) are only 5% in 5 years. So relax; worry is not going to help you in any manner. These patients usually require surgery at size of at least 5 cm.
2. Theoretically, palpitations or premature contractions are associated with increased stroke volume and persistent of such a heart rhythm is not good for aortic aneurysm. However in your case the aneurysm is not that big, neither it seems that you have persistent problem. Instead you have to take certain precautions. Do not smoke. Keep a very good control on your blood pressure/ diabetes /cholesterol. Avoid psycho-social stress. We routinely give Cholesterol lowering drugs (STATINs) to our patients of AAA. You also require an abdominal ultrasound annually or as per the advise of your doctor according to prevailing practice in your region.
3. If your palpitations persist please do see your physician.
Feel free to discuss further.