Diagnosed with a meniscal tears, worn kneecap, osteoarthritis and fluid on the knee. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been diagnosed with a tear of the meniscus, a worn kneecap, some oesarthistis, fluid on the knee in late September of this year. I am on my second course of anti flammatory tablets - Mobic. Earlier this month I had a cortisone injection, which did not address the swelling. I have had an ultrasound, MRI and X XXXXXXX I am due to have the knee "aspirated and injected with 2 amps of celestone(??). I have seen a knee specialist, who ordered the knee aspirated, but did not address the tear issue. Is the tear getting worse in the mean time? He originally suggested key hole surgery but on seeing x XXXXXXX he ordered, changed his mind, and said come back in a month. I keep getting told until the swelling goes down, and they can see what is behind the swelling, they can't do anything, so in the mean time, I walk with a a limp and a walking stick, and this situation is on going and unresolved. He indicated that the knee cap would not dislocate since it was worn out. I have been having physio on it. The physio usually tapes up knee to keep knee cap more secure, as she says it has a tendency to slide to the side, and does not track correctly through the centre of the knee. How long does a tear take to repair itself? Can it repair itself without surgery? What is my problem? Can you please assist as I am geeting conflicting information, and the knee issue is still not fixed, 2.5 months on.
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 5 hours later

After reading your symptoms I strongly feel that you need to get a key hole surgery done for partial menisectomy or repair of the meniscus depending on the extent of tear of the meniscus.

After 2.5 months, inflammation is recurrent and surgery should not be delayed further as it may increase the extent of tear causing an increase in the limp and discomfort from the same.
Aspiration and injections of celestone give only short term symptomatic relief and at best are temporary. A definitive surgery in advised in your case.

I would suggest that you take a second opinion from a good orthopedic surgeon nearby and reconsider the option of surgery.

Hope this answers your query. If there are any more queries, do let me know.