Diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. Having breathing difficulty, swelling of larynx and esophagus from acid reflux. On medications. Suggest

Question
I am worried about my sister who has been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. She is experiencing breathing difficulties related to swelling of her larynx and esophagus from acid reflux. She has as many as six attacks per day despite being on medication. This is affecting her life negatively, as you can imagine. Her doctor has forbidden her to fly so she was unable to attend our mother's recent 87th birthday celebration. She never knows when an attack will hit. Is there anything else that can be done other taking medication? She has been placed on stronger meds but hasn't shown a lot of improvement. She told me that she is very tired of dealing with the problem. Thank you!!
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
I can understand the problem being faced by your sister.
Most of the problems relating to hiatus hernia are generally managed by lifestyle changes and medications.
These lifestyle changes include...
Eating frequent small meals instead of large meals
Avoiding foods like chocolate, alcohol etc
Keeping your head end raised while going to bed in night
Not sleeping for at least three hours after dinner.
Avoiding liquids in the late evening and night.
Medications given are antacids, H2 receptor antagonist, proton pump inhibitors, pro kinetics etc and must have been tried sincerely by your sister.
Surgery is the last resort for people not responding to lifestyle changes and medications.
Surgery done is called as Nissen fundoplication.
You must consult a surgical gastroenterologist and discuss about the surgery.
I hope it helps however; you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: Diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. Having breathing difficulty, swelling of larynx and esophagus from acid reflux. On medications. Suggest 2 days later
Thank you so much!
Mrs. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
you are most welcome to ask any query any time.
Thanks