Diagnosed with a hemorrhagic cyst on the ovary. What treatment should be done?

My daughter lives in Muscat, Oman, and was diagnosed with a hemorrhagic cyst on the ovary. I have read a but about cysts but could not find anything on Hemorrhagic cysts on the ovary.
Looking forward to your answer.
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 33 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I am guessing that she presented with pelvic pain which prompted an ultrasound. On the ultrasound they saw a "hemorrhagic" cyst to explain her pain.

The ovary is full of small cysts every month. One of these cysts becomes "dominant" and releases an egg mid-cycle. This then becomes something called the Corpus Luteum. This is an enlarged cyst that has a tendency to bleed into itself. It is the most likely source of the hemorrhagic cyst that they saw on ultrasound. If the cyst is not actively bleeding (seen as fluid in the pelvis on ultrasound) then it is usually observed and goes away over the next 1-2 months. If there is any concern about active bleeding, or if the pain becomes severe, then she needs to be re-evaluated. Regardless how this turns out, though, she will need a followup scan to make sure that it is gone.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions.