Diagnosed with a deep sinus infection. Experiencing pressure in ear and eye. Are they related?

ENT Specialist
Yesterday I was diagnosed with a deep sinus infection. The only symptoms I am experiencing are strong pressure in left ear (ear was completely clear), some primes there is pressure behind left eye witha little bit of blurriness (blurriness comes and goes though), and I wake up some morning with brown/blood tinged saliva that clears after a few spits. There is no congestion (can breath through my nose just fine), no discharge, fever, headache (except the pressure). Can it still be sinus related without all of the common symptoms?
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. The best way to diagnose a symptomatic sinus infection is to get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) with 1mm coronal, axial and sagittal cuts on a multislice CT Scan Machine. You have blurring of vision which is a reason to get a CT Scan done.

2. The pressure in the ear may be due to Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD). The Eustachian tube connects the middle ear and the nose. It helps equalize the air pressure in the middle ear and drain normal secretions from the middle ear. Get an Impedance Audiometry (I/A or Tympanometry). If you have no hearing loss and the I/A is normal, there is only intermittent ear blockage.

3. Sphenoid and Ethmoid Sinusitis may cause this pressure behind the eye.

4. Blood tinged saliva may be a sign of infection, gum disease or Vitamin C deficiency. Do you have exposure to tobacco or alcohol? There are many causes of blood stained saliva, however these are the most common. The rest require detailed examination, imaging and blood tests to rule out.

5. Fungal infections of sinuses may present without nasal congestion, discharge, fever or headache.

6. Are you on any medication. Start steam inhalation and request your doctor to start an anti-allergic and a mucolytic medication.

7. If you can upload the images (not the report) of the CT PNS Scan, I will be able to give you an accurate assessment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.