Diagnosed with a collapsed gallbladder. Should I go for gallbladder removal?

General Surgeon
Question
I have been diagnosed with a collapsed i gallbladder and polyps in there too. The pancreas could not be seen because of excess gasinthe abdomen. I am waiting for colonoscopy and gastroscopy now. Does it seem that I will need a removal of gall bladder, 64 yr old female.
Thank you
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query

Polyps in the gallbladder is a guideline for gallbladder removal. This is because in very rare cases such polyps can be a cancer. And there is no other way to have it checked than removing it and send to histological tests. Gallbladder removal is quick and quite safe procedure performed with laparoscopy.
Just note that if you have any abdominal pain or other symptoms, this is not caused by polyps as it does not give any symptoms.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with a collapsed gallbladder. Should I go for gallbladder removal? 47 minutes later
Thank you, I had excess gas and bloating for some time with a very painful, gassy attack last week in bed. I felt it could be a heart attack with pain going up from right abdomen into chez, altho I know that's the wrong side for heart. My blood tests are all perfect altho OfCourse my cholesterol has gone high, is that a symptom of poor gall bladder function? Will I need a special diet after removal ( if that happens). I am carrying fat, perhaps 20 lbs extre weight which I suppose has not helped my health?
Will the colonoscopy and gastroscopy show the state of the gallbladder too? The imitial diagnosis was made by scan.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 32 minutes later
Hello!

If the initial diagnosis was made by CT scan, gallstones are invisible for this test. Therefore ultrasound should be done.
In some cases such symptoms can be due to improper gallbladder function. However gastroscopy is a very good idea as peptic ulcers or duodenum ulcers can give similar symptoms. Chest pains, acid relfux can be also caused by ulcers. Moreover, gastroscopy can sometimes visualize duodenal papilla. If this structure is swallowed, bile ducts stones are possible. This is the only way it can tell anything about gallbladder.
Colonoscopy wont also tell anything about gallbladder, but this is also excellent idea at your age (colonoscopy should be performed every 10 years for asymptomatic people over 50). It will tell about large intestine condition and rule out colon cancer. Mentioned by you symptoms sometimes can appear due to partial bowel obstruction caused by tumor.
After gallbladder removal there is a time necessary for bile ducts to get use to increased bile pressure (usually it takes 3 months). In that time you should avoid fried and fatty foods, spicy foods and alcohol. Coffee should be also limited. After 3 months, you can slowly come back to your regular diet.

Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with a collapsed gallbladder. Should I go for gallbladder removal? 3 minutes later
Thank you very helpful and professional.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 0 minute later
You are welcome.