Diagnosed with Urinary Stones. Foods that is recommended and that should be avoided?

What are the foods to be avoided & foods recommended for Urinary Stone Infection
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 35 minutes later
Dear Sir,

For all my patients with stone disease I usually recommend them to undergo some tests as part of evaluation. the tests are serum calcium; uric acid and 24 hours urine calcium, uric acid and oxalate.
However, there are certain generalized measures that I usually make all my patients follow to prevent stone formation and also reduce the incidence of infection.

1. Drink plenty of fluids; approximately 2 litre every day
2. Salt restricted diet; Whatever salt has been added to food is fine but no top ups.
3. Lemon water twice daily without adding salt
4. High fibre diet
5. Stop cashewnuts, chocolates, berries
6. Milk and milk products intake- 350-500 ml
7. Restricted protein intake; limit the intake of non vegetarian food to only twice a week.
All the above mentioned are generalized measures; however, if you get the test done as mentioned above then may be I can be more specific according to the abnormality if any.

Rajiv goel