Diagnosed with UTI. Kidney, ureter and bladder showing bilateral polycystic kidney. Unable to eat and drink. Worried?

My 86 yo mother was diagnosed with a UTI and hospitalized. KUB U/S showed bilateral polycistic kidney. This is all the information we have. She has no history of UTI's. it seems that bilateral polycystic kidney is inherited but she has never shown symptoms before. How do they know this is not cancer? And if the dx is correct in itself what would the prognosis be in your opinion? We have sisters who live in other countries so we would like to know if its best choice that they plan see her now. She is battling to eat and drink any liquids as well

As far as I am aware I paid for unlimited questions a while back. Not sure when. My name is XXXX if that will help at all
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Polycystic kidneys do have a genetic link . It's develops from before birth . There are 2 types but the the prognosis goes towards end stage renal failure . Due to compromised rental function ultimately dialysis may be needed . You have mentioned that she never showed any symptoms . But now i believe the renal function status should be assessed first and if there is any compromise then she showed be kept hospitalized for further treatment . Uti may have occurred due to compromised renal function. Antibiotics after culture is the treatment . As for your family members , regular follow ups are mandatory to check renal status . Genetic testing can also be done . As for cancer , cystic kidneys have a significant appearance on usg. Only a biopsy can confirm if it's cancer or not.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with UTI. Kidney, ureter and bladder showing bilateral polycystic kidney. Unable to eat and drink. Worried? 1 hour later
Thank you. How do we recognize the signs of end stage renal failure? My mother refuses to take medication and has always done so. We are in South Africa so unfortunately we do not have easy access to the attending doctors to ask questions at state hospitals. She is extremely thin and looking very frail. We are also concerned that she is not wanting to eat or drink anything.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 minutes later
Renal function is the first to be affected. Blood tests showed be done to check renal status . If the tests are normal, then renal function hasn't been compromised yet . However since the UTI is an infection she needs to take medicines for that . If she isn't taking them orally then injectables should be given . Her input and out put chart showed be maintained . Polycystic kidney has a tendency to cause cysts in other organs also . If the renal function js normal then she needs to be assessed for other causes about the loss of appetite . She should see a nephrologist .