Ask a Urologist   »  

Diagnosed with UTI. Getting pelvic pain and back pain. Took marcobid. How to get cured?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Hi. I am a 30 yr old very healthy female who just had my first UTI. Began with pressure, some back discomfort and then began to urinate a substantial amount of blood. Was placed on macro bid twice daily for 5 days. Felt much better after first 3 days, but then began to have some pelvic pain and right sided back pain. Went back and urinalysis showed virtually no improvement. They sent urine for culture and put me on cipro. Just received a call saying culture showed no growth. Is that bc I just finished the macrobid, or is there another reason that the ua still showed blood, WBCs, and protein?
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

The thing is that Macrobid is not a real antibiotic. As antibiotics do kill bacteria, this one only prevents bacteria from growing, bot do not kill present bacteria. So in some cases it can be to soft for urine analysis showed no improvement. And that is why there was no growth on culture test, the bacteria were under the influence of Macrobid.
Ciprofloxacine is a real antibiotic (very good for uti) and it should be a remedy for your disease.
Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with UTI. Getting pelvic pain and back pain. Took marcobid. How to get cured? 8 minutes later
Hello! Thank you for the informative response. Just out of curiosity, why would I have been prescribed macrobid in the first place then?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 28 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

As Macrobid is almost in 80% excreted with urine, it is more secure, has almost no side effects and is in most cases prescribed in the first place. So your doctor has done everything correct. Ciprofloxacine is also very safe medicine but it should be used as second treatment in mild utis.

Regards.