Ask a Urologist   »  

Diagnosed with UTI. Feeling freezing cold and lower back pain. Noticed blood in urine. What to do?

Hey so I came down with a uti. I bought some azo tablets and have been taking them along with lots of cranberry juice. It was feeling a ton better this morning and thought I was getting better. Then I got rePly tired and decided to take. Nap. I ended up getting the chills extremely bAd to the point where I was shivering and freezing cold even though I had 5 thick blankets on. And my lower back on the left side hurts. I'm thinking it'd my left kidney that is bothering me so much. I'm at the point where I just want to cry because I'm in pain. Also when I used the bathroom I noticed some blood. On top of that all the clinics are closed for the night except for the er and I don't have insurence. I'm supposed to go to an amusement park in the morning up in the cities and am wondering if you could givee some tips and/ or other home remadies to try. Also I was wondering if I could wait and go to the doctor on Monday or if it is crucial I go to the er. Thanks in advance for the help.
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Your symptoms are suggestive of a results in infection, inflammation, stones or injury to the urinary system.
The treatment of this would involve the following:
a. Drink plenty of fluids
b. Cranberry juice has been shown to be useful in fighting this infection.
c. You can take a urine alkalinizing agent like disodium hydrogen citrate
d. You would also need a course of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin. However, it would be best if we get a urine culture and sensitivity done in order to identify the bacterium and know which antibiotic it is susceptible to.
Since these are prescription drugs, I would suggest you see your physician for the same. With this treatment, I think you should be good in about 1 week.
Since you are having an acute pain in the renal area, attending an ER for management is recommended.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.