Diagnosed with T2DM. Report showed Sr.Creatinine(1.5 mg/dl), SGOT(37 U/L) and SGPT(51 U/L). Taking whey protein supplement. Suggest?

Excellent

Question
I was diagnosed with T2DM in April last year, and last week I got tested for FBS (124mg/dl)/PPBS (135 mg/dl), Sr. Creatinine (1.5 mg/dl), SGOT (37 U/L) and SGPT (51 U/L). Today the 1st Aug 2013 I saw my doctor and she advised me to really cut down on my protein intake (I had been taking a Whey Protein supplement for about one month to improve my weight training workouts). My doctor really scared the hell out of me. My doctor today prescribed Cardace (Ramipril) 2.5 mg 1 tab at bedtime. Is my kidney damage already very serious and is the high Sr. Creatinine Level reversible?
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 48 minutes later
Thanks for writing your query to us.

Since you are diabetic that itself is a risk factor to have kidney disease in future. Normal range of S.Creatinine is upto 1.2mg/dl. Your Creatinine level is high. So its right time that you take efforts to not overburden your kidneys by taking protein supplements. Kindly continue the medicines which your doctor has prescribed.Keep sugar levels in control. This will help to minimize the damage to your kidneys. High S. creatinine over prolonged period is called as chronic renal failure & is not reversible & requires dialysis to keep Creatinine levels within control.

Kindly follow your doctors instructions & take medicines as advised. You can prolong the progression to chronic renal failure if proper care is taken at early stages.

I hope I have answered your query. In case, you have any further doubts , I will be happy to help you.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with T2DM. Report showed Sr.Creatinine(1.5 mg/dl), SGOT(37 U/L) and SGPT(51 U/L). Taking whey protein supplement. Suggest? 1 hour later
Dr. XXXXXXX thank you very much for the prompt response and I will definitely follow your advice.

I forgot to inform that since April 2012 I have been on Cetapin XR 500mg twice daily with occasional doses of Fibator whenever my Cholesterol/Triglycerides level became elevated. My doctor even prescribed Januvia (after lunch) to further control my blood sugar level, but I found that I was heading towards hypoglycemia as my RBS fell to 75-85 mg/dl after office hours and I couldn't even risk exercising with moderate weights or the treadmill. So, the doctor stopped Januvia on my request, and since then I have been able to exercise comfortably 1/2 or 1 hour before dinner. During last month I took a XXXXXXX of Pentasure HP after every workout for about 3 weeks (building more lean muscle mass helps more glucose uptake?) and I made considerable progress even in reducing my paunch by more than an inch. I normally alternate everyday between weights and and the treadmill. I am sure that my Serum Creatinine level spiked due to the whey protein supplementation last month. I will definitely stop taking the supplement, but then, I have a few interrelated questions:

(1) Since I have been asked to stop taking protein supplements, will it be safe for me to take an egg or two a day since I usually take them without the yolk, and will it still be a big burden on my kidneys? How much will be too much for my kidneys?
(2) Do you recommend that I go to a Nephrologist (preferably superspecialist) for a more detailed assessment and specialised treatment of my kidneys' condition at this stage or continue treatment for diabetes under my doctor who is an MD?

Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 7 hours later
I would suggest that you should take a nephrologist opinion also. It is always better to take precaution than to regret later. He would also assess you & guide you.He may refer you to their dietician which will help you to understand what food you should consume & what needs to be avoided.
You can consume eat white .You need 1 gram of protein per kg of weight per day.
Don't get panic or stressed out. Your creatinine levels are not worse, it just that you need to take precautions now to avoid further complications.
I hope I have answered your query. Take care.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with T2DM. Report showed Sr.Creatinine(1.5 mg/dl), SGOT(37 U/L) and SGPT(51 U/L). Taking whey protein supplement. Suggest? 3 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX thank you very much for the reassuring advice.

I'll do my best to follow necessary diet control and regular moderate exercise regimen.

I hope drinking 2 litres of water per day will not put pressure on the kidneys.

Thanks once again.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 8 minutes later

Observe the colour of your urine. Normal urine colour is pale yellow or white.
If it is dark yellow that means you are dehydrated & you need to drink more water to hydrate yourself. If your urine colour is pale yellow or white that means your water intake is adequate.

Dont worry. Take care.