Diagnosed with Susacs Syndrome, prescribed Gabapentin and prednisone. Had strokes, loosing the sight and hearing and jaw tightened

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
My stepson, 44 years old has been diagnosed with Susacs Syndrome and has Ic Gabapentin and prednisone prescribed. He has had 4 strokes in the last year, loosing the sight and hearing on his left side and this year his jaw has tightened up with accompanying dizziness. Do you have any thoughts on the medication? We have found not much is known about this.
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment seems to be along correct lines

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am glad to note that your stepson's condition has been accurately diagnosed and he is on correct treatment now.

Prednisolone (steroids) are the mainstay of the treatment in Susacs syndrome. In more severe cases, I use immunoglubulin injections.
Those who do not respond to steroids or have side effects to steroids, other immunosuppressive drugs such as azathioprine, mycophenolate, etc may be used.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow-up: Diagnosed with Susacs Syndrome, prescribed Gabapentin and prednisone. Had strokes, loosing the sight and hearing and jaw tightened 28 hours later
Thank you, is there anything we should watch for to know if the medication is doing its job and is there any chance this years damage to the jaw and right side hearing will go away? He is such a strong young man it is very disheartening to see him with a cane due to his dizziness.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clinical improvement indicates medicine effect

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Clinical improvement is the best parameter to judge the efficacy of the medications. In addition, lack of worsening of old symptoms and lack of appearance of new symptoms would also indicate that the medicines are doing their jobs.

I am sure he would improve a lot with this treatment. the chance of worsening is very less while on the treatment.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Diagnosed with Susacs Syndrome, prescribed Gabapentin and prednisone. Had strokes, loosing the sight and hearing and jaw tightened 13 hours later
Thank you very much. I am sure you understand how worried we are as little is known about this disease and nothing was done last year. It was not until this year when a different doctor suggested he see a neurologist who did not want to settle for this being a " fluke". At least one of the strokes he had this year happened in a hospital while he was trying to tell the doctor he was having a problem. Thank you again, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thank you

Detailed Answer:
Thank you and best wishes,
I would be pleased to be of any help in future too.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)