Diagnosed with Scabies. Had itching and used permithrin but still very itchy and skin feels like crawling. Suggest?

Just yesterday I was diagnosed with Scabies. The doctor had previously thought it was eczema. I've had this problem since March! Just imagine how severe my itching was, and to deal with it for 6 months was ridiculous. Anyways, I used the topical lotion permithin? (sp) last night , from my neck to the soles of my feet like indicated. I wore the lotion for 12 hours roughly, and showered. I also threw all of my bedding into the wash and sprayed down the mattress with a antimicrobial febreeze incase anything could have been on it- I was unsure if they get as low as the mattress. My question -- I am still very very itchy- and my skin still feels like its crawling. Is this normal? Or do you think I should do yet another treatment tonight? She prescribed me a lot of cream, so I have a whole tube left. My boyfriend also got it, because of our interaction. He also was prescribed medicine at the same time, and we both treated it last night as I said. He said to me that he is slightly itchy today, but not nearly as bad as it was - and not as much as I am. Should i do another treatment?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer...Generally only a single application of permethrin is advised

Detailed answer...
You and your boy friend has rightly treated yourselves by single application of permethrin and generally it is more than enough. If not you can repeat in a week.

A single application of permethrin cures most of the scabies infestation.Itching is considerably reduced after 24 hours,although some itching does persist for some time and it may take as much as 4 weeks to go away completely.It doesn't mean that scabies mite are still alive but it simply means that body is still reacting to mites and their feces.

There is no need for another application of permethrin. You may take Benadryl in the night for few days,till your itching settles.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck